Hey, let's go ride bikes!

How many ADD kids does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

10.16.2005

Recap

Yeah, yeah, I know, it's been a while.

Work is... work. But it's good. It's interesting and I have lots of freedom, which I think is a good thing. I think I've been spending too much time there though.

So here are some highlights from the left coast:

Let's see, a bit over a month ago, [a friend of a friend] won the "Live Like a Hilton" contest that Maxim had. He wrote a really good essay about why he deserved a pimp weekend in Vegas. We've hung out a few times and he was kind enough to extend the invitation to me. So Dave and I rolled out of LA and into LV on Friday the 9th. I'm going to be intentionally short on details because the article hasn't been published yet but if you want to hear the whole story, let me know. Maxim bankrolled the entire weekend and it was... swank, to say the least. They rented out the penthouse suite on the 53rd floor of the Palms, overlooking all of Vegas. Even the shower overlooked the strip.

So Friday we got settled in then Dave and I hit the strip for a bit. That night there was a party up top of the Palms at the Ghostbar, which was rated like the best bar to meet single people in Vegas.

Saturday we had a private cabana roped off down by the pool. That was pretty awesome. Dave noticed that random folks were taking pictures of us assuming (rightly) that some among us must be worthy of having our photos taken.

Saturday night was Nicky Hilton's fashion show, which was a most excellent experience, then we had VIP passes to a party at Rain, voted (by someone, apparently) "The best nightclub in Vegas".

Sunday morning we had the cabana again, and were accompanied by the Palms girls. Teh hawt. Ah crap, their site has music. Ah well, at least it's decent.

Awesome weekend. Mad props to [nameless friend] for hooking it up.

So, after returning to civilization... Ahh yeah that part sucked. But it's been good...

... mostly. I freakin scraped up the passenger side of Valentina on a post in my parking area. In my defense, the Gods were conspiring against me. There was a missile launch from Vandenburg that lit up the whole sky. I got my own pics but haven't pulled them off yet. Add to that that for SOME reason, the light in the car port was off and I was on the phone with Dave getting information about what the freaky streak across the sky was. I blame fate. I'm just sorry V had to get caught up in the middle. What did she ever do to deserve that?

I got an estimate for the damage and almost laughed in the guy's face. When, in the name of Zeus' BUTTHOLE, did it become so expensive to repair superficial damage to a hunk of metal??

So okay, what else... I am getting back into my workout regimen and diet and feeling pretty good in general, though it sucks so much to see all the gains I made earlier in the year have been negated somewhat. I worked my ass off for months and was making serious progress across the board. It will be good motivation to not relent this time around. At least I'm starting from a better point now.

I just started doing Taekwondo at a Do Jang in Long Beach. The Master is a 6th degree Black Belt and former World Champion. I am in decent condition in some ways, but it's definitely bringing my shortcomings to the forefront. Namely, flexibility, off-hand (foot) dexterity, and core strength. All things I've known I needed to work on, but now I am really getting it pounded into my head, so to speak. This is awesome, by the way. Great cardio work-out, self-defense, self-discipline, and it's fun! The class environment reminds me a lot of crew practices--busting my ass physically and mentally under the instruction of a coach who is intimidating, yet has my full respect. It's a great feeling to walk off the floor dripping sweat. Haven't felt like this in a while.

Alright this is starting to get long. It's raining here, which is strange, but very nice. I've been reading more than usual, playing fewer video games, but watching more TV. Cooking more than I have been, but cleaning less. Spending more money than I should be, but on things I enjoy. Blogging less than I should be, but getting back into my photography. Trying to strike a balance between work, play, my sanity, my relaxation, my fitness, my desire for consistency, and my desire to try new things.

Peath out, for now.

3 Comentarios:

  • Quite the long-winded post! But acceptable and almost necessary after your recent silence.

    WAY cool on the whole Las Vegas thang, that's a once-in-a-lifetimer!

    Sorry to hear about Valentina, though. I hate to bring up the whole cell phone while you're driving thing...

    ...but I also LOVE to bring up how much I hate parking garages, and like the personal electronics made nowadays aren't ergonomic, parking garages are not car-friendly. So really you shouldn't blame yourself.

    So what are the plans for repair? Call in collision? Little bit of sandpaper, primer, & spray paint?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/17/2005 4:56 PM  

  • Yeah yeah, I know. No one to blame but me. That I had a phone stuck in my ear makes me the angriest. Except maybe for the jackass who had his POS 1/4 of the way into my space!

    Off-topic: Why the hell does it require word verification for me to post to my OWN blog??

    By Blogger Taylor, at 10/17/2005 11:18 PM  

  • Yeah man, well, it's funny, 'cause once I backed outta my friend's garage in my 1st MG with the driverside door open. I didn't have anything in my ear...I didn't even have the radio on.

    Bottomline, I bent my front door about 5 degrees past the maximum it should ever be open, and put a hole in the wall of his garage.

    All in a day's work. @ least there's no bent metal...

    "I was bent metal,
    you were a flaming wreck,
    When we kissed @ the overpass..."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/18/2005 3:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home