Hey, let's go ride bikes!

How many ADD kids does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

7.23.2005

The Beehive State

So, no sooner had I left Preston when Valentina decided to cause a little trouble. Lo and behold, I see a little yellow light next to the tach. "Service Engine Soon". You've GOT to be kidding me.

Missed the Utah welcome sign because I was on the phone with the Nissan service manager at Brown's. His advice? Enjoy the rest of my trip and get it checked out whenever. He told me that 9 times out of 10, it's a sensor sending back some bad data. He said as long as it's running fine, not to worry. Easier said than done, but I'm working on this whole easy-going thing.

Now to blow off a little steam. First off, that light should actually read, "Give us money soon." What kinda useless message is that? "Hey, something's wrong but I won't tell you what." I'm the one making the payments on this hunk of metal. If there's a sensor saying something's wrong, I was to know what the hell it thinks is wrong! I shouldn't have to go into a Nissan dealership for THEM to tell me what my car should already be telling me. Absolutely ridiculous! I'm no serious mechanic, but I am most certainly the type of person who likes to have information when it's pertinent (like, say, when I'm 2500 miles into a 4000 mile road trip)!

The other side of this, though... An engine is a reasonably simple device. Air meets gas, gets compressed, ignited, and the driveshaft turns. There's more to it than that, obviously, but we've been building the damn things for over 100 years. Now, I'm all for technological advancement, but really, the mechanics here haven't changed that much in all this time. I would say we overcomplicated the process when all this monitoring and ambiguous error messages was entered into the mix. We've all experienced the frustration of a computer not doing what it's supposed to. For the love of all that is holy, can we PLEASE not bring this nightmare into every other facet of our lives? Obviously it's good there is a system that's noticing something is amiss. Now how about TELLING ME WHAT THE FSCK IT THINKS IS WRONG!?

Long story short, I got to my destination with no problems, just a little annoyed. Stats as of my arrival in Spanish Fork, UT (Day 8):

Miles driven: 437.6
Miles per gallon: 34.3
Average speed: 43mph
Travel time: 10hr, 6min

1 Comentarios:

  • Nice gas mileage...wow, that 'service engine soon' was reason enough to keep you foot outta the carburator, huh? : )

    I bet you that light came on for routine maintenance...what mileage were you @ when in clicked on?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/26/2005 12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home